Here are 87 reasons why sugar and artificial sweeteners could be ruining your health.
The consumption of too much sugar CAN ……
1. suppress the immune system.
2. upset the minerals in the body.
3. cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating and crankiness in children.
4. produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
5. contribute to the reduction in defense against bacterial infection.
6. cause kidney damage.
7. reduce high-density lipoproteins.
8. lead to chromium deficiency.
9. lead to cancer to the breast, ovaries, prostate and rectum.
10. increase fasting levels of glucose.
11. cause copper deficiency.
12. interfere with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
14. raise the level of a neurotransmitter called serotonin.
15. cause hypoglycemia.
16. produce an acidic stomach.
17. raise adrenaline levels in children.
18. cause premature aging.
19. lead to alcoholism.
20. cause tooth decay.
21. contribute to obesity.
22. cause changes frequently found in people with gastric or duodenal ulcers.
23. cause arthritis.
24. cause asthma.
25. cause Candida Albicans (yeast infections).
26. cause gallstones.
27. cause ischemic heart disease.
28. cause appendicitis.
29. cause multiple sclerosis.
30. cause hemorrhoids.
31. cause varicose veins.
32. elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral contraceptive users.
33. lead to periodontal disease.
34. contribute to osteoporosis.
35. contribute to saliva acidity.
36. cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.
37. lead to decreased glucose tolerance.
38. decrease growth hormones.
39. increase cholesterol.
40. increase the systolic blood pressure.
41. cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
42. cause migraine headaches.
43. interfere with the absorption of protein.
44. cause food allergies.
45. contribute to diabetes.
46. cause toxemia during pregnancy.
47. contribute to eczema in children.
48. cause cardiovascular disease.
49. impair the structure of DNA.
50. change the structure of protein.
51. make our skin age by changing the structure of collagen.
52. cause cataracts.
53. cause atherosclerosis.
54. cause emphysema.
55. promote an elevation of low-density proteins. (LDL).
56. cause free radicals in the blood stream.
57. lower the enzymes’ ability to function.
58. cause loss of tissue elasticity and function.
59. cause a permanent altering in the way proteins act in the body.
60. increase the size of the liver by making the liver cells divide.
61. increase the amount of liver fat.
62. increase kidney size and produce pathological changes to the kidney.
63. damage the pancreas.
64. increase the body’s fluid retention.
65. cause myopia (nearsightedness),
66. compromise the lining of the capillaries.
67. can make tendons more brittle.
68. cause headaches.
69. overstress the pancreas.
70. adversely affect school children’s grades.
71. cause an increase in delta, alpha and theta brain waves.
72. cause depression.
73. increases the risk of gastric cancer.
74. be a risk factor in gallbladder cancer.
75. cause dyspepsia (indigestion).
76. increase your risk of getting gout.
77. lead to the formation of kidney stones.
78. increase insulin responses in humans consuming high-sugar diets as compared to low sugar diets.
79. increase bacterial fermentation in the colon.
80. increase the risk of colon cancer in women.
81. cause platelet adhesiveness.
82. cause hormonal imbalance.
83. Sugar malabsorption is frequent in patients with functional bowel disease.
84. Sugar is the #1 enemy of bowel movement.
85. High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn’s Disease and ulcerative colitis.
86. The ingestion of sugar can increase the levels of glucose in an oral glucose tolerance test over the ingestion of complex carbohydrates.
87. There is a greater risk of Crohn’s Disease with people who have a high intake of sugar.
This information came from Lick The Sugar Habit by Nancy Appleton, Ph.D. To order a copy of the book, send $9.50 to P.O. Box 3083, Santa Monica, CA 90291. All of the research that validates these points is discussed in this book.
Photo courtesy of Logan Brumm
Post by: Casey Morley – “I have emerged from a life filled with abuse and chronicle my journey in my mybook,Crawling Out,due to be published soon. I hope by sharing my story I can help other victims of domestic violence realize that they too, can start their own journey of crawling out – and that they don’t have to walk alone. I am also the owner of Casey’s Image Consultants, and a Certified M’lis Wellness Consultant offering Lifestyle Change Programs for detoxifying the body. I am dedicated to helping people improve their appearance and overall health from the inside out.”